New York City FC 2, FC Dallas 2 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
It wasn't always pretty, and both teams have reason to feel disappointed with the result. But it surely was entertaining.
New York City FC and FC Dallas shared the spoils in an end-to-end 2-2 draw at Yankee Stadium on Saturday night, a game in which both sides led but neither could salt away victory.
Tommy McNamara drew first blood, only for FCD to respond furiously, storming back into the ascendancy via Maxi Urruti and Michael Barrios. But Jack Harrison rescued the home side with his second assist of the night, serving up a superb cross that substitute Khiry Shelton thumped home.
Both sides had 1-on-1s with the opposing goalkeeper in the dying minutes, but could not finish, and walked away with a point for their troubles.
- 8' – NYC – Tommy McNamara (Jack Harrison, Ronald Matarrita)
- 20' – DAL – Maximiliano Urruti (Mauro Rosales)
- 52' – DAL – Michael Barrios (Mauro Rosales, Maximiliano Urruti)
- 78' – NYC – Khiry Shelton (Jack Harrison)
- Full Box Score
- Watch Highlights
- FRETTING OVER FRANK: Worryingly for NYCFC, star midfielder Frank Lampard limped off before halftime with an apparent left calf injury, the same area that hampered him so badly during the opening stages of his MLS career and again at the beginning of this season. As of the game's conclusion, his club had not issued official word on his status; NYCFC fans will be waiting with bated breath in the hopes that it's not a significant knock.
- GUTTING ONE OUT: FCD had to travel to the Big Apple with limited recovery time (mental or physical) from Tuesday's Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup final exertions – and celebrations! While Saturday was far from a complete performance from the league leaders, they'll probably go home content with a road point, and pleased with the depth shown by the likes of Mauro Rosales.
- SHIELD SLIPPAGE? First Tesho Akindele spurned a glorious chance vs. Josh Saunders, and then Steven Mendoza failed to hit the target with Chris Seitz at his mercy … Both these teams have Supporters' Shield aspirations, and if they find themselves coming up short of that honor at season's end, they can look at this game as a costly two points lost.