Philadelphia Union 3, Montreal Impact 0 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
The Philadelphia Union cruised to a comfortable 3-0 win over the Montreal Impact in Week 8 at Talen Energy Stadium, but the result was overshadowed by an injury that forced goalkeeper Andre Blake from the game early in the second half.
Cory Burke capitalized on a defensive miscue to put the Union in front in the 14th minute. Daniel Lovitz’s casual pass in his defensive third went right into Burke’s path and, with Zakaria Diallo slow to close down, the Jamaican international unleashed a low shot that beat goalkeeper Evan Bush from 25 yards out.
Jamiro Monteiro doubled the Union's lead just before the break from the penalty spot after Diallo held Jack Elliott before pulling him down on a corner kick. Monteiro put his spot kick to the left of Bush, who dived the other way.
Alejandro Bedoya capped the scoring in the 57th minute, slamming home a Kai Wagner cross that Burke somehow missed in front of goal. It’s a goal that came just after Blake hobbled off with a right groin injury after taking a goal kick.
Blake was replaced by Homegrown Matt Freese, who made his Union debut off the bench. Philadelphia finished with 10 men for the second consecutive match when Wagner was sent off for a rash challenge on Mathieu Choiniere following Video Review in the 90th minute.
- 14’ — PHI — Cory Burke | WATCH
- 45’ — PHI — Jamiro Monteiro (PK) | WATCH
- 57’ — PHI — Alejandro Bedoya | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Union bounced back well from the 2-0 loss to the LA Galaxy last week in Carson to win for the fourth time in their last five. But the concern is for Blake and how long he’ll be sidelined. The Impact, missing their own star to injury with Ignacio Piatti out for his fifth consecutive match, were punished for defensive mistakes following three straight clean sheets.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Blake stepped back to take a goal kick early in the second half, usually a nondescript moment in any match. But the Jamaican international immediately reached for his groin and fell to the ground before being replaced by Freese.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Jack Elliott was solid in central defense for the Union, helping not only to secure a clean sheet but to force the decision that resulted in Monteiro’s penalty kick late in the first half.