Orlando City SC 1, Montreal Impact 0 | MLS is Back Tournament Match Recap
The Lions advance to the quarterfinals to face the winner of the Round of 16 clash between the Seattle Sounders and LAFC Monday (11 pm ET | FS1, UniMás, FOX Deportes; TSN, TVAS).
The Lions were the more dangerous team in the scoreless first half, but five gilt-edged chances went awry. The biggest talking point came late when Mendez was played in by Akindele to beat Diop. But the goal was called back for offside.
Romell Quioto nearly had the 80th-minute equalizer, but the Honduran’s downward header was just wide of the post.
- 60’ — ORL — Tesho Akindele | WATCH
Man of the Match presented by Heineken
Jhegson Mendez was a threat throughout the game and was a central figure on Akindele’s winner, pressing Fanni into a turnover after starting the scoring sequence by beating a double-team. He also was denied by a flailing Diop and the offside flag in the first half.
- THE BIG PICTURE: The goal might have been gift-wrapped, but it could have been the Soccer Gods' way of crediting Orlando for pressing and probing throughout the match. The Lions roar into the quarters, a big step for an Orlando team that have yet to make the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs. The Impact reached the Knockout Round in the 11th hour, but they were always second best on the night. There's still a lot of heavy lifting to do for Thierry Henry.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It’s hard to recover from a defensive gaffe like this one from Fanni. Has Akindele ever had an easier goal?
- YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED: It goes down as a footnote because of the result, but should Mendez have had the game’s first goal?
- ORL: Friday, July 31 vs. Seattle Sounders-LAFC winner, MLS is Back Tournament Quarterfinals (7:30 pm ET | FS1, TUND, UniMás; TSN, TVAS)
- MTL: TBD